5 CPA Firms in Fort Myers, FL I Actually Looked Into Before Hiring One
I have made a lot of financial decisions in my life without doing nearly enough research first. Hiring an accountant used to be one of them. For years I went with whoever a coworker mentioned or whoever showed up first when I searched online in late March with a deadline two weeks out. That approach worked fine until it did not.
The year things got complicated, I finally sat down and did this properly. I contacted multiple firms. I asked real questions. I paid attention to how people responded, not just what they said. And I came out of it with a much clearer picture of the CPA market in Fort Myers than I had going in.
This post covers five firms I researched or contacted directly. If you are looking for a CPA in Fort Myers and want something more useful than a star rating, this is what I found.
Why I Finally Stopped Guessing and Did This the Right Way
The situation that pushed me over the edge was not dramatic. It was just the accumulation of a few things happening in the same year. A rental property. Some consulting income. A question about whether we should restructure how my wife and I filed. None of it was catastrophic, but all of it together was more than I was willing to hand to a software program and hope for the best.
I also read enough to understand that not everyone calling themselves an accountant in Florida is actually a licensed CPA. The difference matters more than people realize. A licensed CPA has passed all four parts of the Uniform CPA Examination, completed 150 semester hours of formal education, and logged at least a year of verified work experience under another licensed CPA before the Florida Board of Accountancy will issue a license. Ongoing continuing education is required to keep that license active. That is a meaningfully higher bar than the IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number that anyone handling returns for pay is required to have.
Once I understood that, I stopped looking at generalists and started looking only at licensed CPAs with real depth in the areas I needed.
What I Was Looking For Before I Started Calling
I made a short list of what actually mattered before I picked up the phone. This helped me filter faster and ask better questions.
Year-round availability. The IRS recommends working with someone who is accessible after filing season ends. IRS correspondence does not arrive on a convenient schedule and neither do financial decisions.
A first conversation that started with questions. Any firm that led with fees before understanding my situation got crossed off the list. The people I ended up trusting most were the ones who wanted to understand what was going on before they said anything about what they could do.
Experience in situations like mine. Fort Myers has a specific financial character. Seasonal residency, real estate activity, small business ownership, and estate planning are common threads across a lot of households here. I wanted a firm that had seen those situations before, not one that would be figuring it out alongside me.
A track record in this market. Firms that have been operating in Southwest Florida for a long time know things that a newer practice simply does not. That local knowledge has practical value.
The 5 Fort Myers CPA Firms I Looked Into
1. Hughes Snell & Co PA
Hughes Snell has been in Fort Myers since 1974. That is the first thing I noticed and it matters more the longer I think about it. A firm that has been operating continuously in this market for over fifty years has seen things that newer practices have not. They have worked through the real estate cycles, the hurricane recovery periods, and the economic shifts that have reshaped Southwest Florida more than once.
Their services cover individual tax planning and preparation, business accounting and advisory, estate and trust work, and consulting that coordinates with attorneys and financial professionals when a situation calls for it. That last piece is important. My situation touched multiple areas at once, and I did not want to be the one managing communication between a CPA who did not know what my attorney was doing and an attorney who did not know what my CPA was doing.
I went through this process myself and the first conversation with their team stood out. They asked about my situation in detail before offering anything. The questions were specific and showed they were actually thinking about what applied to me rather than running through a standard intake script. Their published retirement planning resource and their accounting basics guide both reflect the same thing: they communicate clearly to clients who are not accountants by trade, without making you feel like you should already know all of this.
For anyone in Fort Myers dealing with a situation that has grown past the basics, Hughes Snell is the most complete option I found.
Address: 1470 Royal Palm Square Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33919 Phone: (239) 939-2233 Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM | Closed Saturday and Sunday Website: hughessnell.com
2. Noack & Company, CPAs of Florida
Noack & Company came up early in my conversations with people around Fort Myers. They operate out of World Plaza Lane and have a strong reputation built around business tax, multi-entity situations, and estate work. What struck me in reading through their reviews was how consistently people named specific staff members. That tells you something about how the firm actually operates on a daily basis. For clients who want a relationship rather than a service transaction, that consistency matters.
For business owners or anyone with a more structured financial situation, Noack & Company is worth a serious look.
3. Hissam & Associates Accountants
Hissam & Associates is based on Grace Avenue and has a near-perfect rating built on reviews that all describe more or less the same experience: the process is straightforward, communication is clear, and tax season does not feel like a crisis. Dylan Hissam is personally involved in client work, which appeals to people who want to work with the same person year over year rather than whoever is available.
If your situation is individual rather than business-focused and you want a firm where you will actually know who is handling your return, this is a solid option in Fort Myers.
4. Northrop Financial Group
Northrop Financial Group is located off Six Mile Cypress Pkwy and takes a wider view of the client relationship by pairing accounting with financial planning. For small business owners who are thinking about things like entity structure, retirement contributions, and compensation strategy at the same time they are thinking about their annual return, having those conversations with the same team has real practical value. Reviews describe the team as responsive and personally engaged in a way that is not always common at this price point.
5. Vicki L Healy CPA
Vicki Healy runs a smaller practice out of College Pkwy. The reviews are consistent: she is accessible, her fees are reasonable, and she stays on top of individual client files rather than letting things fall through during busy periods. For someone with a cleaner individual return who wants a steady, predictable relationship with one licensed CPA, this practice is worth knowing about.
Why Hughes Snell & Co PA Was the Right Choice for My Situation
After looking at several firms in the area, I want to be direct about why I chose Hughes Snell and what made it an easier decision than I expected.
Fifty years in this market is not a marketing line. It is a real advantage. The tax and financial landscape in Southwest Florida is specific. Real estate activity here creates tax events that are common locally but less common in other markets. Seasonal residency patterns create multi-state filing questions. The volume of small business ownership and estate planning activity means a firm needs actual depth in those areas, not just familiarity with them.
Hughes Snell has that depth across all of it. They also have the relationships already in place with attorneys and financial professionals to handle situations that cross disciplines. That matters when your situation does not fit neatly into one category.
The way they communicated from the first conversation forward also confirmed the right things. No one oversold anything. The person I spoke to told me what my situation would require, what it would not require, and what questions they would need answered before advising further. That is exactly how a trustworthy professional relationship should start.
FAQ
How do I check if a CPA in Fort Myers is actually licensed?
Go to myfloridalicense.com and use the public license lookup tool. Search by name or license number. Any active CPA in Florida will have a record there. This takes two or three minutes and removes any guesswork before you commit to working with someone.
What makes a CPA different from a regular tax preparer in Florida?
A licensed CPA has passed the four-part Uniform CPA Examination, completed 150 hours of formal education, and verified at least one year of work experience under a licensed CPA. A general tax preparer only needs an IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number, which has no education or examination requirement. Only CPAs, attorneys, and enrolled agents can represent you before the IRS in an audit, collection, or appeal. Most other preparers cannot.
What kind of situation actually needs a CPA in Fort Myers?
Rental income. Self-employment or business ownership. Multi-state filings, which are common here given how many Fort Myers residents also own property or earn income in other states. Estate or trust administration. Significant one-time financial events like a property sale, a business transaction, or an inheritance. IRS correspondence. Any of those is a clear reason to work with a licensed CPA rather than a software program.
Does Hughes Snell & Co PA handle both personal and business accounting?
Yes. They work with individual filers across a range of complexity levels, and they also handle business accounting, advisory, estate and trust administration, and consulting services that bring in other professionals when a situation requires it. It is a full-service firm in the actual sense of the term.
When is the best time to contact a CPA firm in Fort Myers?
Before the rush, not during it. Firms operating at full capacity between January and April have limited time for thorough onboarding conversations with new clients. Reaching out in the fall or early winter gives you time for a proper first meeting, a review of your prior year situation, and a planning discussion before anything becomes urgent.
Where I Landed on All of This
I went into this process thinking I was shopping for someone to file my return correctly. I came out of it understanding that what I was actually looking for was a firm that could look at my financial picture across multiple years and help me make better decisions over time.
Hughes Snell & Co PA delivered that. The depth of experience in this market, the breadth of what they handle, and the quality of that first conversation all pointed in the same direction. I would not make this decision without getting a proper consultation first, and once I did, the answer was clear.
If you have been putting this off, stop putting it off.
Found this helpful? Pass it on to someone who has been putting this decision off.
Business Name: Hughes Snell & Co PA
Address: 1470 Royal Palm Square Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33919
Phone: (239) 939-2233
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM | Closed Saturday and Sunday
Website: hughessnell.com
WEb: Hughes Snell & Co PA

Comments
Post a Comment